Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Misc. Aspects of Home Life


Service or rather labor is dirt cheap here in Riyadh. But you know how the saying goes "you get what you pay for". It applies! There are no set rates so repairs and fixin' that gets done must be negotiated. For me this is somewhat stressful. Electricians are often the plumber, digger, mason or anything else you need at the moment. Some are competent and do decent jobs and others...well, you get the picture. Most leave whatever mess they created without attempting to clean it.


The 'harris' or keeper of my old apartment told me he was an electrician back in Indian for 20 years, yet he nearly fried his arm off tryin' to fix my lights. he had to go to the clinic around the corner and then tried to add his clinic visit fees on to my charges.
The 220 volts used in the UK and here is quite dangerous.









These are photos of our 'cooker' or rather stove. It is connected to gas as you will see. Yes, larger american and western manufactured electric stoves are available. This brand is made locally and is quite functional.



Ahhh! The AC.
Indispensable! (in my opinion) They can be purchased new for about 1000 to 1400 sar.




If you live on the first floor here chances are you have little friends that come out at night that live up underneath these drains. Yuck!

These things are heavy and I mean heavy. So every couple of months it must be disconnected and lugged to the gas spot and replace for 15 sar.


Some comfort food. Krispy Kreme is here now and you should see the women walking away carrying four five boxes leaning to one side they are so heavy.
I must admit I have had my share of 'Hot N Nows'. Nothing and I mean nothing beats a hot original krispy kreme doughnut rolling fresh of the conveyor belt. I think I have put on a pound jus' talkin' bout it.

My wife is gonna kill me again, if that's possible. These are photos of our kids room in the old apt. Yes, it is a little bare.
I have a theory and it states that it takes about two years or more to get settled down once moving from one country to another. So those first couple of transitional years can be quite stressful and full of adjusting, learning and acquiring new stuff.










2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow...you have to lug the "ambubah" to the gas place? here in egypt, we just call them and they come to replace it for
10 le (about 2 usd). it would last about 2 months but because my daughter and i bake a lot, it usually lasts just over a month, mashaAllah.

Anonymous said...

found site thru muhajir group, nice mashaAllah. Reminds me alot of Egypts apt., except the windows have these wooden shutters before the glass part.